June 10, 2020
If you missed last week’s Wedding Wednesday post, click HERE to read it! I shared my perspective as a photographer about why a wedding planner or day-of coordinator is so beneficial, but today, I’m sharing thoughts from a wedding planner herself! Karla from Honey + Joy Events is a good friend and talented planner from Des Moines, IA and I’m so excited to share what she has to say!
“Hi! I am Karla, a wedding planner in Des Moines, Iowa. I started wedding planning while planning my own wedding a few years ago. I loved everything about wedding planning; the details, the timelines, all the little knitty gritty things that everyone hated, I loved. I left my 9-5 corporate job in 2019 to plan weddings full time. I truly enjoy guiding couples through this unfamiliar process; mapping out a realistic budget, finding the dream team of vendors, creating a beautiful wedding, but helping my couples create an even more beautiful marriage. I love working one-on-one with my couples and really getting to know them; it’s one of my favorite parts about my job! When you plan with Honey & Joy Events, not only are you gaining a wedding planner to help you plan the best day ever, but you are also getting a friend for life. It is super important to me build long-lasting relationships with my clients.
Our events are characterized by timeless design, seamlessly orchestrated flow, and attention to detail. Like I mentioned earlier, it is very important for us to get to know our clients on a personal level and to build that trusting relationship with them. We spend over a year planning the most important day of their lives, and we believe in emphasizing the importance of the tiny details in design that bring out our couple’s personalities and truly tell their unique love stories. I don’t see this just as a job. It’s my DREAM job. It brings me so much joy and happiness to know that I am helping someone with the most important day of their lives. Our mission is to bring a joyful wedding planning experience and wedding day to each couple, and we do that.
There are so many reasons why a wedding planner is crucial. And I’m not just talking about the planning before the wedding but especially for the day of the wedding! It is so important to us that our brides enjoy a stress-free day and truly get to enjoy this once in a lifetime celebration with their loved ones. Everyone says the wedding day goes by fast, and they aren’t lying! It really does, and you only get to do this ONCE. I truly believe that every bride and groom should get to enjoy themselves on their special day. You should not be worried about what time the cake is getting there or if all the decor is set up. We will make sure you do not need to lift a finger. You should be able to start your wedding day enjoying mimosas with your best girls or playing golf for the guys. Let us handle the decorating, setting up, tearing down, and everything in between. You shouldn’t worry about when things are getting delivered and what’s falling into place, but enjoy the special day instead. Focus on smiling and enjoying this day with your loved ones. Leave the stress and worrying to us because that is what we are here for!
Right now, more than ever, it is important to have a wedding planner due to everything going on with COVID. We will help you guide you through this unfamiliar process of deciding what options are best and how to plan around restrictions. Not only will we help you plan your wedding and design the wedding of your dreams, but we will serve as your biggest advocate to ensure that you are happy with your wedding day. SO many brides come to us and they have no idea where to start with the overall look to make sure everything is cohesive. That is something we can help with! And something we LOVE helping with. We love bringing personal details into weddings to really tell your love story, and we will bring your vision to life while keeping everything cohesive and beautiful.
Wedding planners not only plan weddings, but we also can act as liaisons between you and the vendors to help create a budget. Yes, wedding planners can be costly, however, in 2019 we saved our brides thousands of dollars by helping guide them. Planners can save you both money and precious time! On average, we put in over 200 hours of planning into a wedding. Wouldn’t you rather have those 200 hours back to do that hobby you love or spend with your family?
On wedding days, planners can do so much more than people think! Many times, we end up taking care of tasks that technically aren’t even our responsibility. However, someone has to take care of it, so we I am happy to do so! Trust me, we have encountered some unexpected situations that have made us the planners we are today.
Some of things we had to do are:
- Act as florists, yes we have had to assemble floral arrangements! We are not floral designers, but we are here to do what it takes to execute a wedding.
- Help a dog get down the aisle
- Take care of baby
- Fix a bridal bouquet
- Make a place card
- Figure out how to fix a generator
- Run to Skeffington’s to get the father-of-groom new pants
- Wash a flower girl dress to get the stain out
- Called an uber for a very intoxicated guest
- And the list could go on!
We guide you through this process with a very long checklist of tasks, but we go through it together! When you first book, we will send over a survey getting to know you, asking you what your style is, what your budget is, etc. From this survey we will go ahead and match you with vendors that we think will be a good fit for you. First we begin with going over your budget and your overall vision. We will look at your inspiration to determine what vendors will be the best fit for your wedding depending on your style and budget. It’s important to first book your wedding venue, reception venue, photographer and so on! We have a very long checklist that we will work on that has items to complete depending on when you are getting married!
- All services listed in other packages
- Access to our preferred vendor list, as well as a list customized for your needs, style, and budget
- Liaison between client and all vendors
- Review + Negotiate contracts
- Access to our client portal with checklists, questions, and more to guide you in your planning process
- Creation and management of wedding budget
- Kick off design meeting to discuss mood board, budget, personalized vendor recommendations, and more
- 30+ page event design blueprint breaking down all of the design elements present in your wedding day (floral, rentals, stationery, etc.)
- Up to 3 revisions of the event design blueprint to ensure it fits your style and needs
- Follow up meeting after the event design blueprint has been accepted to talk through the next steps
- Unlimited meetings
- Unlimited hours of advice and guidance via email
- Attend vendor meetings on behalf of the client
- Assembly of all wedding stationery
- Hotel Room Block Management
- Assembly of welcome bags
- Run last-minute errands week of the wedding
- Day-of organization, coordination, and management
And that’s it! In short, we’re here for you, and we’re here to make your dream day happen!”