October 9, 2019
Last week, I asked a few questions on my Instagram to all past brides – not just MY past brides, but anyone who is married! I have my own perspective on wedding planning and the wedding day since I got married in 2018, but I also really wanted to see what everyone else’s thoughts were. These Wedding Wednesday posts are all about helping brides and giving them insight and ideas as they prepare for their wedding day, and what better way is there than to get advice from brides who have already been through it all!
I asked all my married friends a series of questions, and this is how they answered!
What were things that you were really glad you did?
- “Allow extra time for photos”
- “Send schedules and coordinate with your bridal party beforehand”
- “Get a good wedding coordinator! A MUST!!”
- “First Look!!”
- “Ordered lunch for when I was getting ready”
- “Set aside plenty of time to get ready and enjoy time with my girls!”
- “Staying the night before the wedding at a place other than my home!”
- “Delegate!! I didn’t have to worry about a thing because I had delegated everything.”
- “I loved that we had a second shooter so we could get different angles!”
- “First Look for sure! It’s the only alone time you get all day and you get the ugly cries out!!”
- “Sunset photos!”
- “Have a videographer!”
What were things you wish you would have known?
- “Not to let others pressure you into decisions. It’s your day!”
- “That I should take my bouquet with me for the pre-wedding photos!”
- “How much fun it was going to be!”
- “I wish I would know what flowers actually cost”
- “Timeline for pictures and that we should take more photos outside for better lighting.”
What were things you wish you would have done differently? Any regrets?
- “Plan more time for hair – our getting ready photos were very rushed!”
- “Went with you for photography”
- “Unfortunately, I was running around all day before the wedding giving instructions.”
- “Everything should be so well planned that you (bride) can just show up to get ready.”
- “Should have been more organized with the set up and especially the reception.”
- “More photos with family and extended family.”
- “Made time to eat CAKE!”
What advice would you give to a newly-engaged bride?
- “Photos seem pricey but they are worth it – you’ll have the memories forever in pictures!!”
- “The day goes fast, enjoy it!”
- “Set a budget early on. And stick to it!”
- “Hire a wedding planner, or at least of a day-of coordinator.”
- “Take it all in and enjoy the process! Don’t be afraid to delegate to your friends and family!”
- “Remember to enjoy the process! Don’t stress or your day won’t be as fun!”
- “Don’t be pressured to do things someone else suggests but definitely do your research on it.”
- “Start ‘thank you’s’ right away!”
- “Make an excel spreadsheet of guests, their names, addresses, likelihood of attending, if you sent an invite, if they RSVP’d, their gift, if you sent a “thank you”, etc.”
- “Don’t stress. Enjoy the season you’re in. Things will happen as they are meant to!!”
There seems to be a common theme of hiring a videographer and wedding planner, not stressing, and planning enough time! Hopefully this was helpful, but be sure to take note of what will work best for you and your fiancé! Something that works for one may not work the best for another because no two weddings are alike. Plan ahead best you can, and enjoy the season of life you’re in…if you ever feel unsure of what to do, ask! You got this!