September 23, 2017
My baby sister is graduating and I can’t believe how fast time has flown! Growing up in the middle of so many boys, Joya and I became inseparable best friends as soon as she was born! She grew up to be beautiful, sweet and tenderhearted, yet strong, tough, and driven. She’s got a heart of gold, but she can be as spunky and feisty as ever. She kept me on my toes growing up as she pulled me along with all her ideas, but I loved every bit of it!
She went to Iowa Mennonite School part-time for three years while doing some of her own courses from home. Now she is homeschooled full time and doing all college courses! She plays volleyball, basketball, and softball, as well as continuing her piano and violin lessons. She’s been playing piano and violin for 11 years and her hard work has paid off! She would love to go to school for nursing, but then again, there’s also a lot of things she wants to do! In her free time, she loves to read, bake, hang out with friends, go hiking, swimming, and shopping, and eat ice cream…of course.
This is the first of a few more little picture outings we’re going to take so enjoy her beautiful self!
A few memories I never want to forget…
- The way Joya and I were always an inseparable pair – with two older brothers, thank goodness I had a sister right after me!
- She got shot by a BB gun on her back end when she was little…long story short, our older brothers would have BB gun fights sometimes…you can figure out the rest 🙂
- Sharing a bedroom our entire lives was possibly the best thing that has ever happened to us. I made her realize it’s important to be tidy, while she showed me that it’s okay to have a messy room sometimes!
- When we played Little House on the Prairie (which was every day), I was always Mary and Joya was always Laura. I think that had to do with our personalities!
- She cut her own hair when she was little more times than I can count on all my fingers.
- I started piano and violin lessons before her, but I knew right away she was going to be an amazing musician! WAYYY better than me! We’ve played everywhere together – church, the State fair, nursing homes, weddings, and many more!
- That one time we put ALL of our stuff on my bed just for the fun of it…literally EVERYTHING – our toys, dolls, kitchen set, shelf, clothes, and everything else!
- I always wanted to match outfits…but Joya didn’t…
- We would always hide behind the living room recliner and eat candy, but I’m still not sure why we thought that was such a good hiding place! We got caught almost every time!
- We’ve gotten played softball together our entire lives – from t-ball all the way to high school. We made for a pretty solid outfield!
- Aftering hearing that my name was Summer, she was always asked if her name was Winter!!!
- She always got my hand-me downs, but at least she got some girl’s clothes…I ended up getting hand-me downs from my brothers…
- She STILL loves jelly as much as she did when we were little. Her sandwich would usually have more jelly than it would bread.
I want to remember this laugh forever.
I love this girl so much and she is one of the greatest blessings in my life!